Travel a lot in buses of Kolkata? If you do, this post might help you out to have better time travelling in them. So go ahead and read! and if you know of more tips and tricks, please write them down in your valuable comments. Here I go!
What is making me write this post? Its the struggle that I had to do each day on my way to different destinations in Kolkata. When I was relatively new to this place, I had no idea of routes or the city-map structure or buses. Almost each day I used to travel standing in buses and end the day at home feeling totally tired. But with time and and my wish of exploring the possible ways and finding the best one out, I learned a lot about buses. I am sharing them with you now thinking they might help you out!
Tip No 1 – Find out ways to reach one place:
This is very important. If you are a citizen of Kolkata or living here for quite a long time, then you should be having the knowledge of Kolkata’s road-map. Its quite simple. Its like intersection of many horizontal and vertical lines unlike many cities where the city-roads are made in circular fashion. At almost each cross point there is something big and in most cases that big thing is your destination or 2 – 5 mins from there. In Kolkata, there are a variety of options to reach that one cross point. Get to know them! They will be very useful in times of traffic jam or drainage system failure.
For example, If you want to reach Central Metro from Howrah,
- You may take a bus that takes you to C.R.Avenue crossing and you can have a 2 mins walk from there.(e.g – Any bus from Howrah to Sealdah, there are many buses there to be named)
- You may take a bus that travels through Brabourne Road, takes a left turn near the UCO BANK ZONAL OFFICE and drops you in front of Central Metro Gate.(e.g – Howrah – New Barrackpore Mini buses).
Now if sometimes it rains heavily, you should be taking the second one so that you dont find yourself floating in shit water. :p
Tip No 2 – How many buses reach the place you want to go?:
This is another important aspect you should keep in mind! Suppose you are newly employed. You now know where you have to come daily but if you have to go there standing all the way each day how that would be? or if it takes you to reach 2 hours from your home but you don’t want to wake up so early? How will you feel? Bad!
In these kind of situations, you should be knowing which buses can take you to that place, the more the number, the less the tension even if you miss one.
Example : If I am at Howrah and I want to reach Esplanade Metro…I wont panic if I miss a bus or two because there is a huge list of buses
- Howrah – Bhattanagar Mini
- Howrah – Batanagar Mini
- Howrah – B.Garden Mini
- 24A/1 that goes to Mukundapur
- Howrah – Park Circus Minis
- Many buses that takes you to Moulali and so on…
and for the same reason I will not have to worry about getting a seat. If I see a bus if full, I’ll take another one.
Tip No 3 – Take Mini Buses, leave the Big Ones :
Yes! If you are in a hurry, prefer a mini bus to your destination. Why? Because they fill up quickly, they are small in size and in Kolkata, mini buses hardly care about taking too many passengers in because of their population, their brothers might just fly past them in 1 or 2 mins.
NOTE : If you are a guy, this tip becomes very important as Mini Buses do not have seats reserved for ladies or just a row reserved for them.
Tip No 4 – Hide in the safe place:
Well you might be one of those unlucky people who really don’t get a seat in buses. But you should be smart enough to grab a safe place to stand. So even if it gets too crowded, you can stand still and don’t find someone polishing your shoes with their shined one. :p
Now! there may be two or three safe places in a bus depending on your destination.
- If you will have to get down early, take the place just opposite to the bus’s front gate. That is the corner near the first window of the right side.
- If its gonna be an hour long journey, do not think of anything and go as inside as possible. You will be safe from the frequent in and out of people from the bus. Specially helps when you have a huge bag tied to your shoulder.
- Sometimes you might find the seat for Physically Challenged people empty. Sit there until someone comes who needs that seat. That can be your safe place for the time being.
- This last one is for guys. If you are in blue buses, not getting the seat on the right side, have a seat in the middle row of the seats reserved for ladies… It is almost all the time possible that you reach your place sitting peacefully at the same place.
Tip No 5- Be smart, Keep Smiling:
Well if you have not got a seat but there is a chance that you may get one, be humble and have a smile on your face. The person sitting in front of you might just offer you his seat when he is about to drop by.
So! Follow these tips and you might start having a better time travelling in buses of Kolkata. These tips helped me a lot. I find myself less tired and less irritated.
Here is the link to all the buses and routes available in Kolkata. Happy Travelling.